Confirmation and Cancellation Policies
Our Special Requirements
1. Optional Extras
Unless included already as part of your chosen function format, optional extras for all kinds of functions include:
Wet Weather Cover
For additional usable area for your guests in the event of bad weather or as shade provision in the event of a hot day, a Forest Green marquee awning with medieval trim is available for installation on Black wrought iron spear-pointed stanchions for the patio outside the bar. $150.00 incl GST
A changing variety of seasonal delicacies presented on garnished platters. POA
A Welcome Drink
Champagne Cocktails or Mulled Wine poured on arrival as an ice-breaker, Champagne Cocktails $7.50 incl GST per person, Mulled Wine $6.00 incl GST per person.
Should you wish to personalise your function eg. by bringing a cake or if you'd like some additional decorations at your table eg. your table banded with ribbon or balloons, there may be some items in the following list you may require or would like us to organise for you.
- Black wrought iron braziers at the entrance on arrival or for the smokers alter, pair $90.00 including fuel (subject to a local fire ban being in force)
- Cake table, cloth and Silver cake knife $30.00
- Candelabra, Wrought iron, Black, 15 holder Buffet table centrepiece, complete with 15 Metallic candles, drilled $65.00
- Candelabra, Wrought iron, Black, 8 holder hanging chandeliers, complete with Metallic Gold candles, throughout the main turret $150.00 (5 chandeliers, 40 candles) or $300.00 throughout the lower floors of the castle (10 chandeliers, 80 candles)
- Candelabra, large Black wagon wheel chandelier set with pillar candles in the Bar $60.00
- Chair covers, Cream calico, fitted, complete with Cream calico sash and bow, (50 only)
- Chair covers, White Momie cloth, fitted (90 only)
- Guest tables banded with coloured ribbon $1.00 per person
- Lanterns, Glass and Black wrought iron, 9 trees of 3 lanterns with tealights for the posts of the patio outside the Bar $45.00
- Medieval wall mounted torches, Black wrought iron with Copper bowls (8) for the Main Turret $80.00 including fuel
- Other theming items
- Special Effects
- Bernstein baby grand piano
- Jukebox - Wurlitzer or NSM Fire
- Illuminated Dancefloor
2. Getting Here
Click here to access a printable map showing directions to The Mudcastle.
Recommendations for guest transport include:
- Bromells Bus Charter (03) 548 1619 Lee or Mike
- Nelson SBL Services - (03) 548 3290 email@example.com
- Busworks Nelson 0800108855 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Motueka Bus Co. Ltd. - (03) 528 7040 Mike Thomas - After Hours (03) 528 4051
- Supershuttle - Dave Comeskey - (03) 547 5782 - email@example.com
- Pegasus Rental Cars - Nicki Downer - 0800 354 501 or (03) 548 0884 - Special price for 24 hour hire of 11 seater minibuses
4. Confirmation and Cancellation Policies
Confirmation of your exclusive function booking is finalised with the payment of the required deposit.
The deposit is non refundable unless we are able to replace your booking.
Final numbers and special diet requirements need to be confirmed one week before the function so that the catering quantities required can be calculated and supplies ordered. Please also remember to include any extra catering requirements eg. meals for busdrivers, musicians, photographers etc. if you intend for them to be fed.
"No shows" (where a group turns up with less people than they booked for) in the hospitality industry is a major problem affecting viability and The Mudcastle is not a restaurant where surplus food can be rolled out over the following days so it would be appreciated if every effort is made to provide accurate numbers when confirming.
If your function format has a minimum number requirement and, for whatever reason, you fall below that, you will be charged for the minimum number.
Dinner theatre/play tickets.
Confirmation of your dinner theatre or play tickets is finalised with the payment for the required number of seats before the event. Any special diet requirements need to be conveyed at this time also.
The ticket price for any "no shows" from pre-paid bookings is not refundable unless we are able to replace your booking. We operate a waiting list and may have turned other bookings away so it is in everyone's interest that we are told as early as possible if anyone in your booking is, for whatever reason, unable to attend.
In the event of last minute bookings (ie. made in the actual week of the event), arrangements can be made to pay for the tickets at the Bar at the conclusion of the night when the booking's bartab is settled.
Any "no shows" from bookings that have booked on this understanding will be charged in full for the same reasons as above.
5. Our Special Requirements
Our only requests to you as guests in our home are, firstly, that footwear worn inside is not of the type that will damage our clay and timber floors ie. no fine high heels and, secondly, that a no smoking policy is observed inside. This last request is now law but the footwear issue is one that needs to be included on the invitations so that guests are aware.
Lastly, if babies and children are invited, they must be supervised at all times for their own safety. Hosts and parents need to feel comfortable that our furnishings and animals will be safe and that the enjoyment of other guests will not be disrupted.
6. Alcohol Policy
The Mudcastle buildings and the entire grounds are Fully Licensed giving us the flexibility to run outdoor bar stations for functions in any part of the grounds and for guests to wander around anywhere with a drink.
We are Fully Licensed to serve alcohol Monday - Sunday from 7am to 3am of the following day.
We can put together a unique selection for each function or we can use our Function Beverage List that provides juice and/or punch, a selection of beers and mid-priced wines aimed at keeping costs manageable. Whether spirits are made available for your function and on what terms (eg. able to be charged to the tab or available but at their cost) are your decisions to make and can be discussed at the time of confirmation so spirit stock levels can be checked and the barstaff advised.
Please also advise the method by which the bar is to be run for your function eg. all on the one account, a bar limit then a cash bar, a cash bar from the start etc.
Bringing your own alcohol (BYO) is not an option.
A Sample Function Beverage List is provided below.
Sample Function Beverage List
Fruit Punch $3.50 glass
Orange Juice $3.00 glass
Splits - Lemonade and Coke $2.50 glass
Sparkling Grape Juice $4.00 glass, $10.00 bottle
A selection from DB Light Ice, Amstell Light,
Speights, DB Draught, Export Gold, Speights Old Dark,
Mac's Gold, Monteiths Black, Red and/or Summer Ale (when available) Steinlager Pure, NZ Pure, Stoke Dark
Montana Lindauer Brut or Sec or Sauvignon $8.00 glass, $26.00 bottle
Golden Bay Petros Methode Traditionelle $8.00 glass, $36.00 bottle
Anchorage Riesling $8.00 glass, $35.00 bottle
Tasman Bay Pinot Gris $8.00 glass, $35.00 bottle
Seifried Estate Gewurztraminer $8.00 glass, $35.00 bottle
Neudorf Vineyards Sauvigon Blanc $8.00 glass, $35.00 bottle
Kahurangi Chardonnay $8.00 glass, $35.00 bottle
Seifried Estate Ice Wine 2004 375ml $8.00 glass, $35.00 bottle
Spinyback Cabernet Franc Syrah $8.00 glass, $35.00 bottle
Goose Bay Pinot Noir $8.00 glass, $35.00 bottle
Latitude 41 Pinot Noir $8.00 glass, $35.00 bottle
Gin, Bacardi, Vodka, Dark Rum, Brandy, Whisky, Bourbon, Jack Daniels $8.00
Practically speaking, virtually none. In respect of noise issues, one huge advantage we have over other venues is that we are not situated in a built up area (and we have clay walls) so noise has never produced a problem for any of our neighbours. And as our liquor licence allows us to trade until 3 am, we are able to host functions catering to night owls if required.
Payment is required at the conclusion of the function with everything appearing on one account however individual bar tabs are possible.
Methods for payment are cash, cheque, Mastercard, Visa and Eftpos.
Please note that there is a 3% surcharge if it is intended that the entire function is to be paid by credit card.
For corporate functions, a 7 day account can be sent by prior arrangement.
9. Gift Vouchers
Gift vouchers may be purchased for:
- Dinner Theatre Evenings on dates we are open to the public
- Castle Tea and Tour on dates we are open to the public
- Accommodation after attending any function at The Mudcastle
10. Contact Details
Glenys or Kevin Johnston
Phone: (03) 543 2113
Fax: (03) 543 2113
Please don't hesitate to contact us if anything needs clarification or if you have a variation on any of the above in mind. We wish you every success with planning your function and look forward to assisting you with it.